Caren's Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Good Day, Sunshine

I don't have a lot to say today except that it was a good day. I woke up to sunshine streaming in through our bedroom window. Alex and I had a good snuggle while we listened to housemates making breakfast downstairs. When we figured it was about ready, we headed downstairs and were treated to yummy porridge in the breakfast nook with our homies.

I forced myself to do paperwork all morning, and studied, then in the afternoon I rode up to McPhereson's Produce Stand and splurged on summer fruit-two kinds of cherries, grapes, papaya...and ingredients for spring rolls. My giant new grocery delivery basket on my bike works like a champ-three bags of groceries, no problem! I spent the afternoon making spring rolls until my fingers got pruny from pulling the rice wraps out of the water. Alex and I had a backyard picnic, watched the clouds, and I started a new book (The Bicycle Diaries, by David Byrne).

When we got bored we headed down to Full Tilt Ice Cream for some delish cream and pinball. I got Thai Iced Tea vegan ice cream, and Alex got the classic Ube flavor. We detoured on our way home to watch a spectacular sunset over the sound, mountains, and city skyline from Jose P. Rizal park. We were among several other pairs of lovebirds, and one lonely looking Latino man watching the sunset from his tiny, old red car. As we were sitting there we saw three Airlift Northwest flights dropping folks off at the helipad behind Harborview. It was strange to be having such an incredibly peaceful and content moment with my lover, and know that at the very same moment there were nurses and doctors in Resus Rooms 1, 2, and 3 trying to save people's lives. I was grateful to be on my side of the moment.

Our little chicks are spending their first night outside tonight. Up to now they've either been in our dining room under a heating lamp or in the garage under a heating lamp. They've had brief adventures in the chicken tractor during the warm part of the days, but tonight is the first night that they're on their own out there for the duration. It reminds me of kids having their first "camp out" in a tent in the back yard. Alex and I have been simultaneously worrying over them and glad they're out there growing up. They're teenagers now, after all. Last we checked, they were in a chick cuddle puddle in their nesting box in the chicken tractor. They seemed quite content, but we brought them some extra food and bedding just in case. I hope they do OK out in the big world tonight!

No comments: